Insurance Coverage Updates
2018 HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE INFORMATION
Kean University does not offer a student health insurance plan. Students must obtain their own health insurance that is compliant with the Federal Patient Protection and Affordability Care Act (PPACA). Those individuals who do not have coverage with a PPACA compliant plan will be subject to tax fines. The Federal Government has established health insurance exchanges that allow families and individuals to compare coverage and related costs among a variety of insurance companies.
The open enrollment period begins on November 1, 2017 and runs through December 15, 2017. Coverage starts on January 1, 2018
How to Apply
- Online: https://www.healthcare.gov/ or https://www.cuidadodesalud.gov/es/
- Phone: 1-800-318-2596 (TTY:855-889-4325)
- For in-person enrollment, visit: https://localhelp.healthcare.gov
UNIVERSITY INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
Federal law requires all citizens to have health insurance. Residential students and students enrolled in the Center for International Studies program must provide proof of insurance at the start of every academic year. Students in the Kean Athletics program are also required to provide proof of insurance to Athletics, please visit the Athletic Training page or call (908) 737-0600 for instructions.
How to Provide Proof of Insurance (for Residential and International Studies Students)
- Log onto KeanWISE
- Click the “Students” tab
- Below the “Other” heading, click the Residential and International Students Proof of Insurance Submission link
- If you are a residential student who is applying for insurance during this open enrollment period you must bring proof of your plan to Student Health Services before the start of the Spring 2018 term.