The Division of Student Affairs receives ongoing professinal development and guidance in best practices with assessment, to the end of measuring student development and retention through meaningful, impact-driven services, programs, and experiences. Student Affairs regularly accesses archived and live trainings, consultations, and tools to create assessments, reports, and department databases. Additionally, through Engage, Student Affairs has cultivated a database of student involvement that links engagement with existing student data, including participation in programs, clubs, and organizations' elections. Engage also provides students with a tool to cultivate a co-curricular transcript of involvement, and provides students with the opportunity to further develop as leaders through overseeing facets of their organizations.
Programming: The Social Change Model of Leadership & Development
The Division of Student Affairs utilizes the Social Change Model of Leadership and Development to engage students and provide meaningful, impact-driven learning experiences. Established in 1994 with the initial research conducted by the Higher Education Research Institute, the Social Change Model of Leadership & Development is designed to enhance student learning through self-knowledge and leadership competence. Specifically, the model emphasizes three values: Group, Individual, and Societal/Community. For more information about the Social Change Model, visit the Leadership Institute.
Student Affairs Assessment Cycle Timeline
- September and October: AY Objective Consultations with Campus Labs
- November 15: Part I of Annual Assessment Reports submitted to the Office of the VPSA
- December 15: The VPSA submits Part I of Annual Assessment Reports to the OAA
- March: AY Objective Updates/Data Consultations with Campus Labs
- May 16: Program Review due to the Office of the VPSA
- June 1: Part II of the Annual Assessment Reports submitted to the Office of the VPSA
- June 30: The Office of the VPSA submits Part II of Annual Assessment Reports to the OAA
- July 1: Points of Pride/Highlights to the President's Office submitted to the Office of the VPSA
- July 15: Metrics submitted to the Office of the VPSA
- August 15: VP Summary Report due to the OAA