Kean University takes pride in the passion to serve within its students, faculty, staff and administrators. One of the primary goals of the Center for Leadership and Service is to build a culture of leadership and service within the Kean University community. The Center for Leadership and Service serves the University community as a student-focused connection point for student involvement and campus engagement. The Center encourages active citizenship and celebrates individual and community involvement.
Kean University has been named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll as a result of all of the hard work and dedication its students, faculty, staff and administrators have done to improve the lives of all members of the surrounding community. Kean University community members have volunteered countless hours.
We encourage all Kean University to record all of their community service hours so that they, and their student groups and organizations, may receive proper recognition for their efforts through special awards and the Co-Curricular Transcript Program. Kean University utilizes Cougar Link as its online student involvement management and tracking system. All students who serve and student group members are strongly encouraged to utilize Cougar Link and the service hour tracking feature.
What Type of Service Hours Should be Submitted?
The Kean University Center for Leadership and Service recognizes the three types of community and volunteer services: volunteer service, community service, and service learning. Please visit the Community and Volunteer Services webpage to learn more about the three types of service.
|8-QUESTION COMMUNITY SERVICE HOUR CREDIT CHECKLIST|
|Was the service activity officially sponsored, hosted, endorsed, approved or organized by Kean University through one of its offices, departments, schools, colleges or officially recognized student clubs or organizations at the time of the service activity?
|Did the service activity violate any institutional, local, state or federal laws, statutes, ordinances, policies, procedures or guidelines including, but not limited to Student Code of Conduct?
|Was a considerable amount of time dedicated to the service activity? Service hours should be recorded for at least 30 minutes or more.
|Does the activity, at least, moderately assist a non-profit organization (ex: educational organization or institution, religious organization, charity, foundation, social welfare or advocacy organization, hospital, etc...) in fulfilling its public service mission or goals? Kean University, as an institution of higher education, falls within the category of a non-profit organization.
|Does the activity contribute to bringing about positive (social) change or address a societal issue, perceived or actual?
|Were you compensated or motivated monetarily or academically to serve? Did you receive pay or an honorarium as a result of your service? Were you required to serve as a course requirement?
|Was your service required as a result of a student conduct sanction, judicial sentence or court order?
|Have you answered "YES" to questions 1 through 7?
How To Record Service Hours
1. Visit Cougar Link at http://cougarlink.kean.edu/.
2. Log into Cougar Link using your Kean Google username (without "@kean.edu") and password.
3. If you are activating your account for the first time, you will be prompted to complete your personal profile by entering your name and email address(s). Click here to learn more about getting started with Cougar Link.
4. Click on “My Involvement” on the top navigation tab and click on “Service Hours” from the drop down list or click here.
5.Where your services hours completed as part of your participation in a recognized Kean University student group or organization?
- IF YES: Select the campus organization from the "Organization" drop down list. You must be a member of the organization within the Cougar Link system to have the organization appear on your drop down list.
- If you have requested to join an organization, but have not been confirmed, please contact the organization's president and/or secretary to confirm your membership in the organization. For more information about joining an organization in Cougar Link, please click here.
- IF NO: All general Kean University student service hours may be entered through "Cougar Volunteers". Cougar Volunteers is a general organization within the Cougar Link system that is used as a general database of student volunteers. To enter your hours through Cougar Volunteers, select
- If you have not joined Cougar Volunteers in Cougar Link, please visit the Cougar Volunteer page within Cougar Link at https://kean.collegiatelink.net/organization/volunteer and click the "Join Organization" button. Membership requests to Cougar Volunteers are automatically approved.
6. Enter the date of the service in the "Date" field.
- If the service event spans multiple dates, please enter the last date. Also note that each individual service project should be entered individually - do not provide one combined service hour submission for multiple service events or for the same service event on multiple days. One submission must be made for each occurrence of the service project.
7. Enter the full name of the service project in the "Description" field.
8. Enter the duration of the service project in the "Duration" field.
- The duration entry must be entered in hours and minutes. For example, a 90-minute service project must be entered as "1:30" and a 30-minute service project must be entered as "0:30".
9. The verification contact must be entered in the "Verification Contact" field.
- If the verification contact is a Cougar Link user, the verification contact's name may appear from a drop down list. In this case, please select the contact's name from the drop down list.
- If the verification contact is an outside person or agency, please enter a verification contact's phone number and/or email address. The verification contact field is not limited. You may enter as much information as you would like.
10. Review your entry and click the "Submit" button.
- Once approved service hour submissions become a part of a student's Co-Curricular Transcript, an official University document that records student involvement and co-curricular engagement. Wrongfully submitting service hour submissions or falsifying University records is a violation of the Kean University Student Code of Conduct. Service hour submitters are strongly encouraged to carefully review all service hour submissions prior to officially submitting the approval request.
11. Once your service hours are submitted, the organization must verify and approve them.
- Please note that in most cases, only an organization's President, Secretary and/or Cougar Link Primary Contact may verify and approve community service hours.
- Hours submitted under Cougar Volunteers are verified and approved by the staff of the Center for Leadership and Service.
MANAGING COMMUNITY SERVICE HOUR SUBMISSIONS
(STUDENT GROUPS AND ORGANIZATION LEADERS ONLY)
As community service hours are recorded and submitted on behalf of your organization in Cougar Link, they must be managed in a timely manner by the organization's President, Secretary, Cougar Link Primary Contact and/or other designated community service officer. A student group or organization executive board member in one of the before mentioned positions, may approve service hours using the following steps:
1. Navigate to Cougar Link at https://kean.collegiatelink.net/.
2. Log in with your Kean Google username (without the “@kean.edu”) and password.
3. Navigate to your organization’s page.
4. Click on “Service Hours” on the left navigation menu and review the pending submissions, if any. Submissions may be approved by clicking the "Approve" button or denied by clicking the "Deny" associated with each submission. When denying a service hour submission, the administrator will be able to provide an explanation to the submitter electronically. Approved service hour submissions become a part of a student's Co-Curricular Transcript, an official University document that records student involvement and co-curricular engagement. Wrongfully approving service hour submissions or falsifying University records is a violation of the Kean University Student Code of Conduct. Organization administrators are strongly encouraged to approve and deny service hour and membership requests with extreme caution. Please refer to the 8-question community service credit checklist prior to approving any community service hour submission.
For more information or assistance regarding service hour records, please contact the Center for Leadership and Service at (908) 737-5170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.