Kean University uses a login-based network access system which allows students and staff to gain access to local resources as well as the internet. Such resources are privileges and must be exercised in conformity with all Kean University policies and procedures, and all applicable federal and state laws. Failure to abide by these policies can result in suspension of network privileges and referral of the matter to the appropriate disciplinary process. In order to logon you must use your Kean Google e-Mail system username and password. If you don't know your username and password, please call 908-737-6000. Be prepared to confirm your identity with your Kean ID number or Social Security number.
NOTE: Those students with game consoles (XBOX, PlayStation, Game Cube) MUST register them with Computer Services (908-737-6000) in order for those consoles to have internet access. You will need your game console's MAC Address. To register a video game console through OCIS, please click here.
- Make sure that you are connected to a data port not a voice port.
- Check that your network wire is both connected in the data port and your pc network card.
- Check the type of connection your pc is requesting from your network card by:
- pressing internet explorer an going to the “Tool” tab in your internet browser go to “internet options”.
- In the internet options screen press the tab that reads “connections”.
- Make sure that under the “dial up and virtual private network setting” you have selected (never dial a connection)
- Under the “Local Area Network (LAN) settings” you have nothing selected.
If you are not able to connect to the internet go the “start” tab on the bottom left side of your window and go to “Run” tab.
- In the “Run” screen type cmd for windows 2000 and xp and type command for windows 98 and press enter.
- By typing cmd or command it will take you to a DOS screen where you must type ipconfig.
- If you are connecting with the university’s network your DNS suffix would say kean.edu and your IP address would start with 131.
- If you are getting the above information you must type ipconfig /release (this will release any old ip addresses in your PC).
- Once your old ip addresses have been released you must type ipconfig /renew (this will renew Kean University’s IP address. Your DNS suffix would read kean.edu and your IP address will start with 131.
If you are not able to connect please fill and submit work request with any messages your PC may give you when trying to connect to the internet.