Transfer Application Instructions
Thank you for your interest in Kean University. Below you will find application instructions for transfer students. Please note that 15+ credits are required to apply as a transfer student.
If you are an international applicant, please visit our International Application Instructions page.
A complete application consists of the following items:
- A submitted online application.
- Official (sealed envelope) transcripts submitted from every college and post-secondary school attended.
- If you are applying for Readmission to Kean, you will need to send transcripts for all colleges and post-secondary schools attended during your absence from Kean. If you have been away from Kean University for over five years, you will need to submit official transcripts for all colleges attended. If you have attended Kean in the past five years, you will be contacted if any transcripts are missing from your file and require resubmission.
- All college credits earned outside the U.S. must have a course-by-course transcript evaluation completed by an NACES accredited evaluation agency. For a listing of these credit evaluation agencies, please visit www.naces.org. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure all transcripts arrive to Kean University by the deadlines indicated on the Important Dates & Deadlines page. For more information see Acceptance and Evaluation of Transfer Credits.
- A non-refundable $75.00 application fee. Application fees may be paid through the online application by credit card or debit card. Alternately, the fee may be paid by check or money orders made payable to Kean University and sent to the address below.
- International students (i.e. those who require an I-20 Form, including those on F-1 Visas to study in the U.S.) must also complete the International Student Application Supplement.
Please note the following:
- Incomplete applications and submitted applications received without transcripts will not be processed for decision.
- Transfer credit will only be awarded from institutions listed on the application at the point of admission. Any institutions not listed will nullify the potential transfer of those credits.
- Deliberate omission of an institution attended to conceal poor performance will result in withdrawal of an admission offer.
|If you are applying to the Union location, all documents must be sent to:||If you are applying to the Kean Ocean Location, all documents must be sent to:|
The Office of Undergraduate Admission
1000 Morris Avenue
Union, NJ 07083
Transfer and Readmission Student Services
Gateway Building Room 103
P.O. Box 2001
Toms River, NJ 08754
Applicants for Readmission
An application for readmission is required for previously enrolled students (in good standing) who have not attended Kean for two or more consecutive semesters.
Applicants for readmission will need to follow the same steps outlined above. Please also carefully read the information below regarding readmission.
Important Information about Readmission
- If you have been academically dismissed from Kean, you are ineligible for readmission. Applying for readmission will delay your return to Kean. Instead, you must seek Reinstatement through the academic appeals process. For information on the appeals process, please contact Ms. Jean Brown in the Center for Academic Success at email@example.com or 908-737-0311.
- Readmission is not guaranteed. You must meet all of these criteria to be eligible for readmission:
- You left the University in good standing (i.e. you were not dismissed).
- You met published deadlines for submission of the application and required documents. See Important Dates and Deadlines.
- You have a cumulative GPA (i.e. combined from all institutions attended including Kean) of 2.0 or higher.
- Readmission to a particular major is not guaranteed.
- Readmission into the University does not guarantee readmission into the major (including the major you held prior to leaving Kean). You will be readmitted as an intended major and in order to declare, you must meet the current entrance (declaration) requirements for the major.
- Upon readmission, you are held to the current curricular requirements in affect at the time of the readmission and not the curricular requirements in effect at the time of your initial admission.
- If you have transfer credits, you cannot apply for readmission as an Undecided major. You must select an intended major on your application, so that your transfer credits can be evaluated in relation to the requirements of that major.
- If you are changing your major from what it was when you last attended Kean, you will need to meet the current declaration requirements and curricular requirements in affect at the time of your readmission.
Applicants for Second Baccalaureate Degree
Transfer applicants that already hold a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year U.S. college/university or foreign equivalent, will need to complete the same Transfer Student Application Instructions listed above. Please also carefully read the information below.
Second Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
- You must have a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year U.S. college/university or the equivalent from a foreign university. The equivalency of the foreign degree must be verified by an NACES accredited evaluation agency (see above in Application Instructions).
- Your GPA from your baccalaureate degree-granting institution must meet the minimum GPA requirement for the specific major desired. Minimum GPA's required range from 2.0 to 3. depending on the major.
- You will also be subject to any other requirements or special procedures in effect for admission to the major program you select (e.g. auditions for performing arts majors).
- Not all major programs offer second degrees. For example, Second Degrees in Education majors are not offered. Interested students should change the way you are applying from Transfer to Post-Baccalaureate Teaching Certification in the Academic Intent section of the online application.
- You cannot work on your first and second baccalaureate degrees simultaneously.
Second Baccalaureate Degree Completion Requirements
- You must complete all academic major requirements and all "cognate" or "additional required courses" that support the major and any lower-level prerequisites for those courses, if applicable.
- You will be granted Advanced Standing Credits for all Free Electives and General Education (GE) requirements - except for GE courses that are prerequisites, if applicable.
- Transfer courses may be awarded toward the Second Degree major; however, you must complete a minimum of 32 credits, including at least half of the major requirements, at Kean after admission to the Second Degree program.
- Once accepted to the Second Degree program, all coursework must be completed at Kean University.
• International Prospective Student Forms & Information
* For more information, please visit www.kean.edu/~iss
• Kean University Office of Residence Life
Kean University Summary of Transfer Credit Policies
Printable Version of Kean University Summary of Transfer Credit Policies