The 2018 GSSRP will run from July 9 - August 16, 2018. The online application will open January 2018.
The NJCSTM offers a Group Summer Scholars Research Program (GSSRP), a 6-week, hands-on research experience aimed at attracting and developing talented students who are interested in pursuing an education in a STEM field. Upon entering the program students are divided into small research teams that are paired with a faculty mentor conducting actual scientific research. Students learn how to conduct basic and applied research during this program and develop a true appreciation of the scientific research process while contributing first hand to the acquisition of new scientific knowledge. Students engage in weekly meetings with faculty and team members to solve problems and discuss results, novel ideas and the latest scientific literature. Participants who complete the entire 6 week program receive a formal "Certificate of Achievement" from NJCSTM in recognition of their accomplishment.
The 2018 program will take place July 9 - August 16, 2018 (Monday-Thursday, 9:00am-4:00pm).
Target audience: Rising Juniors and Seniors (current Sophomores & Juniors) as well as those students entering their first year of college (current Seniors).
Program Cost: $1,500 per student (fee waivers will be provided to low-income families and those with financial need)
2017 GSSRP Research Streams included:
- Analytical Chemistry & Chromatography: Isolation, Identification and Characterization of Drug-Like Chemical Compounds in Medicinal Plants Using Biological Assays, Chromatography, and Mass Spectrometry Techniques
- World of Data: Virtual Reality & Scientific Visualization
- Microbes, Microbiomes & Bioinformatics: Exploring the Structure and Function of the Microbial World
- Molecular & Cellular Biology: Exploring Cancer Malignancy
- Computational Mathematics: Pattern Formation and Wave Propagation
- Medicinal Chemistry & Modern Drug Discovery: Synthesis of Chemokine Receptor Antagonists
2018 Research Streams will be announced in January 2018!
How to Apply:
- Submit an online application. The online application includes a personal essay. The 2018 application will open January 2018.
- Complete the financial aid section of the application to be considered for financial assistance. Criteria are listed here.
- Ask a high school science teacher to write a letter of recommendation
- Request copies of your high school transcript
- Submit all materials to NJCSTE@Kean.edu (include "GSSRP Application" in email subject line)
GSSRP Participant Successes:
Antoinette Antonucci (GSSRP '15) and Joseph Veliakath (GSSRP '16) are currently enrolled in NJCSTM. Antoinette is in the Molecular Biology program and Joe is studying Computational Mathematics; both are continuing their research in NJCSTM labs.
Daniella Galati (GSSRP '15) was offered a spot (as a freshman!) on Dr. Drake's research team at the Cancer Research Institute of New Jersey at Rutgers University.
Ronak Patel (GSSRP '15) is majoring in chemical engineering at NJIT.
Eileen Wang and Brenda O'Kereke (GSSRP '15) were accepted into the prestigious NJ Governor’s Scholars Program.
Ayush Parikh (GSSRP '16) was accepted to the University of Pennsylvania's Class of 2021 as part of the Roy and Diana Vagelos Integrated Program in Energy Research. As part of this dual-degree program, he will be studying both engineering at Penn's School of Engineering and science at Penn's College of Arts and Sciences.