The Therapeutic Recreation option prepares students to work as recreation therapists with individuals with illnesses or disabilities to promote improved functioning and independence and encourage maximum wellness through a healthy leisure lifestyle. Recreation therapists work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, long-term care facilities, psychiatric and substance-abuse units, rehabilitation programs, assisted living facilities, adult day-care programs, schools and community-based agencies.
Therapeutic Recreation majors are required to have two field experiences, including a 560-hour internship with a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS). Students graduating with the option in Therapeutic Recreation will be eligible to take Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Exam as administered by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.
• American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA): www.atra-online.com
• National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC): www.nctrc.org
• Therapeutic Recreation Directory: www.recreationtherapy.com
• New York State Therapeutic Recreation Association: www.nystra.org
• New Jersey Eastern PA Therapeutic Recreation Association: www.njepa-tra.com
• National Recreation and Park Association: www.nrpa.org
• Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association: www.canadian-tr.org