How to apply for aid

How to apply for aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application used to apply for need based financial aid for state and federal programs.

For continuing students, we will start awarding after mid June. Your awards will be visible on your KeanWISE

To be considered for financial aid at Kean University, please follow these steps:

New Applications

Go to Federal Student Aid Pin Web Site ( and request a Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you are a dependent student, have your parent(s) request one, too.

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online beginning January 1. Filing of the FAFSA on the Web will replace the paper FAFSA.

List Kean University on the FAFSA and enter Kean University federal ID number 002622 in order for the Office of Financial Aid to receive it electronically. The Kean University priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is April 17th for the full academic year and by November 1st for the spring term. March 1 for TAG recipients attending spring term only.

After you have filed a FAFSA, the federal processing center will mail you a Student Aid Report (SAR) within four weeks. This document contains a summary of all information listed on the FAFSA. It should be kept as an official receipt and should be retained by the student for record keeping. 

Submit the required documents to the Office of Financial Aid if you are selected for verification.

Check KeanWISE your financial award and document requirements.

Renewal Applications

Students must reapply for financial aid each school year by submitting the FAFSA (

complete the FAFSA regardless of whether or not you received aid last year.

You will need a U.S. Department of Education PIN to complete your renewal FAFSA. If you have forgotten your PIN, you can request a copy by going to the PIN Web site at

New federal regulations effective July 1, 2012 that impact students admitted under the Ability to Benefit Test (ABT)

Students enrolling as of July 1, 2012 without a valid high school diploma or a GED or certificate of Home Schooling WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE TITLE IV FUNDING. Such students will need to make alternative payment arrangements using private education loans and/or the Tuition Management Service (TMS) at or 1-800-722-4867. The new ATB provisions apply only to students who enroll in their first eligible program of study on or after July 1, 2012.

Currently enrolled students (those enrolled before July 1, 2012) are excluded from the provisions of the new regulation.

Kean University - 1000 Morris Avenue, Union, New Jersey 07083 - 908-737-KEAN (5326) - Campus Map - Directions - Directory