Department of Theatre Mission
Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre, Kean University’s Department of Theatre mirrors the university’s mission to provide a core educational foundation based on the traditional liberal arts. In addition, our major curriculum is designed to educate theatre students to enter the professional realm of theatre or advanced graduate studies.
Our production program of fully mounted theatre performances serves as an indispensable laboratory for both the core liberal studies and the intensive professional studies of our major curriculum.
The Department of Theatre seeks to engender lifelong artistic appreciation by providing cultural and educational experiences for the student body, the university, and surrounding communities. We are deeply committed to exploring cultural diversity through learning about oneself and the human condition and learning about world cultures, past and present.
Department of Theatre Production Program Mission
- Create for theatre students a pre-professional laboratory, in which to test and experiment with the practical and theoretical artistic skills and precepts that emanate from the academic curriculum under the guidance of professional faculty and visiting artists.
- Enhance the cultural life of the university community through the presentation of the best theatre possible - in particular, a season of theatre balanced between that which is not readily available in the commercial sphere with those productions that are likely to have box office appeal – to audiences of all ages, but serving, primarily, the adult theatergoer (i.e. students and the community).
- Provide theatre majors, during the course of four-year rolling cycles, with as wide a range as possible of dramatic literature from various cultures and periods, presented in a variety of theatrical modes.
- Facilitate opportunities contributing to the evolution of American theatre with the presentation of new, unproduced scripts.
- Introduce students to the profession by co-producing a script from a contemporary playwright with Premiere Stages, providing students access to and interaction with AEA professionals.
Department of Theatre, VE 409