Declaration of Major Requirements
Requirements for formal admission as a DECLARED MAJOR effective Fall 2012:
- Grade Point Average: Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on 30 or more completed semester hours. If fewer than 30 semester hours have been completed at Kean, GPA will be calculated using coursework from all transfer institutions attended.
- Foundation Coursework: ALL FOUNDATION COURSES MUST BE COMPLETED WITH A GRADE OF 'C' OR BETTER BEFORE APPLYING TO BECOME A DECLARED BUSINESS PROGRAMS:
- ENG 1030 College Composition
- COMM 1402 Speech Communication as Critical Citizenship
- MATH 1044 or MATH 1054 Pre-Calculus
- GE 2021 Research & Technology
- Complete the following courses with a grade of 'C' or better:
- ECO 1020 Principles of Economics I (Macroeconomics)
- ECO 1021 Principles of Economics II (Microeconomics)
- CPS 1032 Microcomputer Applications
- ACCT 2200 Principles of Accounting I
- MGS 2150 Business Statistics & Applications
- Have a passing score on Microsoft Excel proficiency exam. Students have three opportunities to pass the test.
- Students must be in good academic standing (Kean GPA of 2.5 or higher) and maintain the 2.5 GPA to continue the program.
A minimum of 50 percent of the business credit hours required for the business degree must be earned at Kean University. Students with 90 credits or more who have not been admitted to a business major are not eligible to register for 4000 level business courses. Students from two-year institutions are limited to the transfer of up to 66-semester hour credits required for the bachelor degree. Students requesting credit for MGS 2150 Business Statistics & Applications are expected to pass a departmental proficiency exam.