Cougar Link Student Group Recognition Process
To assist you in your preparation of completing the Student Group Recognition process, please review the steps below.
ACCESSING THE STUDENT GROUP RECOGNITION FORM
Newly Proposed Student Groups and Organizations
If a student wishes to establish a new student group or organization at Kean University, they must create a new organization in Cougar Link. To access the recognition form for new student groups or organizations, please visit https://kean.collegiatelink.net/organizations and access the form by clicking the "REGISTER" button under the left navigation menu of the page.
Existing Student Groups and Organizations Applying for Re-Recognition
If the student group or organization is currently recognized by the Center for Leadership and Service, the student wishing to complete the recognition form to re-recognize the organization must locate the student group or organization in Cougar Link and click the corresponding button for "REGISTER THIS ORGANIZATION". In some instances registration button will be initially restricted to organization's current President, Secretary and/or Primary Contact.
STEP 1: STUDENT GROUP RECOGNITION PROCESS OVERVIEW AND INSTRUCTIONS
It is the President’s and or Secretary’s responsibility to complete this information on Cougar Link and update any information that has changed throughout the year (i.e. officers’ names, positions, new advisor, and name of group and/or purpose). The membership information entered during the Student Group Recognition Process in Cougar Link will be automatically added to each members Co-Curricular Transcript and serves as a permanent record of a student’s involvement in the organization at Kean University, once approved.
STEP 2: CREATE/UPDATE ORGANIZATION PROFILE
You must enter your organization or club's official name as it appears in the organization or club's Constitution.
You must enter or update your organization's summary and description. The organization's description should provide any prospective member with an overview of your organization. You may also wish to include information about your organization's meeting dates and times, information about the history of your organization or your organization's mission statement in your organization's description.
ORGANIZATION'S ADDRESS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
You must enter or update your organization's current mailing address and the contact information for your organization including a phone number and email address. The Center for Leadership and Service advises against student group executive board members providing their personal phone number and email address. The organization's office phone number, if available, and email address should be provided.
NON-FUNDED GROUPS, HONOR SOCIETIES AND GREEK LETTER ORGANIZATIONS
Your organization can pick up mail in the Center for Leadership and Service in University Center room 219. Correspondence for your group will be placed in that box. Please check it regularly.
FUNDED GROUPS AND STUDENT GOVERNMENTS
Your organization will have a mailbox in the Office of Student Government, located in University Center room 321. Correspondence for your group will be placed in that box. Please check it regularly.
STUDENT GROUP EXTERNAL WEBSITE
If your organization has an official website, you may enter your organization's website on the form.
Student Group Social Media
If your organization has an official social media account (ex: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and/or Google), your organization may connect those accounts to your Cougar Link Profile page.
You will be asked to enter your advisor's information. Please note that advisor's contact information is not publicly viewable.
Group Recognition Form Information
To simplify the Student Group Recognition process, the Student Group Recognition form has been condensed and incorporated into the Cougar Link profile. This information is not publicly viewable.
Executive Board Contact Information
The Student Group Executive Board contact information is incorporated into the Cougar Link profile. The first name, last name, position, Kean University student ID number, contact phone number and email address of every executive board member must be completed. This information is not publicly viewable and can be updated regularly.
Step 3: Upload/Update Organization Profile Picture
The organization may upload or update their organization's logo or Cougar Link profile image.
STEP 4: ORGANIZATION CATEGORIES
You will be asked to identify your organization's categories. You may select all of the categories that most closely describe your organization.
Please note: You may select more than one category.
- Cultural Organization: Cultural organizations are student groups with a primary mission to promote cultural or multicultural awareness and an appreciation of diversity.
- Fraternity: A fraternity is a Greek letter organization with a primary emphasis on brotherhood.
- Funded Group: Funded groups, for intents and purposes of Cougar Link, are only the organizations that receive annual funding from Student Organization of Kean University.
- Governmental Organization: Governmental organizations are student groups with a primary mission to represent the interests of a constituency.
- Greek Organization: Greek organizations are Greek letter organizations that are officially recognized by the Greek Senate of Kean University.
- Honor Society: An honor society is an organization that recognizes excellence among peers in the areas of scholarly study and academics.
- Kean Ocean Organization: Kean Ocean organizations are student groups who operate primary at the Kean Ocean campus in Toms River, NJ.
- Non-Funded Group: Non-funded groups, for intents and purposes of Cougar Link, are only the organizations that DO NOT receive annual funding from Student Organization of Kean University. Non-funded groups may receive annual funding from other Kean University departments or organizations.
- Performance Organization: Performance organizations are student groups with a primary mission to promote and showcase the creative expression through the performing arts.
- Professional Organization: Professional organizations are student groups with a primary mission to promote professional skills and development through extra-curricular involvement.
- Recreational Organizations: Recreational organizations are student groups with a primary mission to promote athletic oriented programs and/or recreational activities.
- Religious Organization: Religious organizations are student groups with a primary mission to promote an understanding and appreciation of a religion or faith.
- Service Organization: Service organizations are student groups with a commitment to community service and philanthropy.
- Sorority: A sorority is a Greek letter organization with a primary emphasis on sisterhood.
- Special Interest Organization: Special interest organizations are student groups with a mission or purpose that focuses on a specific topic or interest.
- Student Government: A student government is a organization whose members are elected to represent a larger constituency and set policies and procedures that govern other organizations and/or the use of funds.
STEP 5: ORGANIZATION INTERESTS
You will be asked to select the interests that most closely associate with your organization. You may then rank your selected interests in the order of importance to your organization. Cougar Link will use this information to recommend your organization and your organization's events to the students that have selected the same interests for their personal accounts. Cougar Link helps match your organization to prospective members.
STEP 6: ORGANIZATION ROSTER
You will be asked to identify your organization's executive officers and members within the Cougar Link system. If your executive officers and members are currently members of your organization in Cougar Link you may simply select them from the current roster. If your executive officers and members are NOT currently members of your organization in Cougar Link you must enter in their name and KeanGOOGLE email address to request that they join your organization. This Organization Roster step will add the student's involvement credit to their Co-Curricular Transcript. Failure to maintain accurate organizational membership records can adversely affect your student members and their official Kean University records.
Step 7: Student Group Recognition Acknowledgements
You will be asked to confirm that you and your organization knows and understands the Student Group Recognition Policy and what is expected and required of the organization and its executive board.
Step 8: Student Group Reminders and Resources
As the final step for organization recognition, you will be provided with links to all of the necessary forms and resources.
Uploading a CONSTITUTION - BYLAWS
All student groups and organizations must successfully upload an electronic copy of the organization's Constitution. Failure to upload a Constitution will not allow your organization to apply for recognition. All currently recognized organizations do not need to resubmit a Constitution unless their organization has amended the document. To update or submit a constitution, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. All newly proposed student groups and organizations will be required to upload a Constitution as part of the recognition process.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
COUGAR LINK RELATED QUESTIONS OR ISSUES
GREEK LETTER ORGANIZATION RECOGNITION QUESTIONS
If you have any Greek letter organization recognition questions, please use the contact information below:
Assistant Director, Center for Leadership and Service
University Center RM 219
NON-FUNDED GROUP, FUNDED GROUP, HONOR SOCIETY OR STUDENT GOVERNMENT RECOGNITION QUESTIONS
If you have any non-funded group, funded group, honor society or student government recognition questions, please use the contact information below:
Jennifer FongProgram Assistant, Center for Leadership and Service
University Center RM 219
Center for Leadership and Service
University Center, room 219
- > About the Center for Leadership and Service
- > CLS Jobs
- > Clubs & Organizations
- > Co-Curricular Transcripts
- > Community & Volunteer Services
- > The Cougar's Byte
- > Greek Life
- > Leadership Programs
- > Cougar Link
- > Forms and Policies
- > Kean Ocean Campus Life
- > Find Us on Facebook!
- > Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act
- > Student Group Recognition Policy
- > Student Group Toolkit